I just learned about the Amazon aStore Beta in a blog post on Linda Buquet's “5 Star Affiliate Programs” site.
Here is a sample aStore widget:
And here is the the standalone store version that resides on Amazon. (Admittedly, not very pretty…)
However, creating an aStore to place on your own site is pretty easy. You just:
- Choose either categories or individual products that you want to display.
- Give the page a name.
- Select a theme or input colors for the Amazon portion of the page.
- Give your bookstore a title.
- Choose either a right or left-hand sidebar.
- Select which options you'd like to display in the sidebar.
- Click “Finish” and get a simple link for to your store, or a link to embed your store in either an inline frame or a frameset.
As Linda pointed out, the drawback to keeping visitors in a frame on your site is that they can see that they are not on a secure server.
To get around this problem, she suggested adding something like “All orders go through Amazon's secure order server” to the top of your pages. Good idea!
Learn more about Amazon aStore.
Cheers ~ Ros