Researching August holidays and celebrations proved once again that assumptions can be oh so wrong!
I was amazed by the number of named days and monthly celebrations that came up.
My favorites by far are Play in the Sand Day, Bad Poetry Day (which I definitely will not celebrate), Kiss and Make Up Day and Rice Pudding Day – which I will celebrate with Vietnamese rice pudding made from rice vermicelli. YUM!!!
Here are 2 lists of all the holidays and celebrations coming up in August.
- 1 National Raspberry Cream Pie Day
- 2 National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- 3 National Watermelon Day
- 4 U.S. Coast Guard Day
- 5 Summer Olympics begin in Rio
- 5 Work Like a Dog Day
- 6 National Mustard Day first Saturday
- 6 Wiggle Your Toes Day
- 7 Friendship Day – First Sunday in August
- 7 International Forgiveness Day – First Sunday in August
- 7 National Lighthouse Day
- 7 Sisters Day – First Sunday in August
- 8 Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day – now that’s nasty!
- 9 Book Lover’s Day
- 9 Chinese Valentine’s Day/Daughter’s Day – 7th day of 7th Lunar Month
- 10 Lazy Day
- 10 National S’mores Day
- 11 Presidential Joke Day
- 11 Son and Daughter Day
- 12 Middle Child’s Day
- 13 Left Hander’s Day
- 14 National Creamsicle Day
- 14/15 V-J Day – which date do you celerate as the end of WWII?
- 15 Relaxation Day – now this one’s for me!
- 16 National Tell a Joke Day
- 17 National Thriftshop Day
- 18 Bad Poetry Day
- 19 Aviation Day
- 20 National Radio Day
- 21 Senior Citizen’s Day
- 21 Summer Olympics ends in Rio
- 22 Be an Angel Day
- 22 National Tooth Fairy Day – and/or February 28
- 23 Ride the Wind Day
- 24 Vesuvius Day
- 25 Kiss and Make Up Day
- 26 National Dog Day
- 26 Women’s Equality Day
- 27 Global Forgiveness Day
- 27 Just Because Day
- 28 Race Your Mouse Day -but we are not sure what kind of “mouse”
- 29 More Herbs, Less Salt Day
- 30 Frankenstein Day
- 30 Toasted Marshmallow Day
- 31 National Trail Mix Day
In terms of month-long celebrations, I know that there are many of you who will join me in celebrating National Golf month.
- Admit You’re Happy Month
- Family Fun Month
- National Catfish Month
- National Eye Exam Month
- National Golf Month
- Peach Month
- Romance Awareness Month
- Water Quality Month
- National Picnic Month
In terms of affiliate marketing, I think the foodies win this one hands down.
Seriously, who with a food blog could resist doing a “Happy Potato Day” post?
Hmmm… that could be fun to do on almost any blog.
Maybe we should make it a movement – ’cause who doesn’t love potatoes?
Note: If you’ve never been, the best potatoes in the world are grown and cooked in Ecuador. Their Locro de Papa soup (Potato-Cheese Soup With Avocado) is probably the world’s ultimate comfort food… and a heart attack waiting to happen.
OK, that was an aside. What would you sell to celebrate Potato Day?
Mr. Potato Head of course!
Alright, that was perhaps a little over the top, but you can see how letting your mind wander (and get a little twisted) will fire those neurons to come up with unique ideas — stuff no one else is blogging about — even when it seems like there’s NOTHING to blog about in a given month.
OK, now start thinking about sea serpents!
Did you find this post informative and useful? If so, please share it with others! If you have a comment, question or suggestion, please leave a comment below!