As I write this, it's almost July 4th, Independence Day in the U.S. and a day for Americans to celebrate!
I know one American affiliate marketer who has even MORE reason to celebrate on July the 4th.
His name is Doug and he chose this date in 2001 to quit his job and claim his PERSONAL independence. Three cheers for Doug!!!
Like Doug and my other entrepeneur friends…
I celebrate my independence from bad bosses and paltry paychecks each and EVERY day. I don't miss the long commute, the annoyance of an alarm clock jarring me awake at 5AM or reducing my life expectancy by working ridiculous short-change shift schedules.
Not even one iota.
Furthermore, I feel MORE financially secure as an entrepeneur than I ever did with a full-time government job and a large pension waiting for me at retirement.
At this point, I would NEVER trade the freedom to call my own shots and create my future for ANY job, because NOTHING is more satisfying than being your own boss – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What about you? Do you have personal and financial freedom?
Or, are you still struggling to shed the shackles and yet are still pining to make that seemingly giagantic leap?
If you're experiencing the latter scenario, let me guess…
You've read all the books a hundred times and even memorized the list of action steps – define your wants, set goals, commit, take action and persist.
But if you already know all that, WHY are you still working for that jerk?
OK, so let's forget the action steps for now. Here's a different slant that lists 7 things that you might be doing that could be getting in your way – and need to be banished from your life's lexicon if you ever hope to achieve success.
- Self-doubt is the biggest obstacle to success. Some people are so paralyzed with fear that they cannot act and without action, one can not move forward. So, get rid of it. Learn what you need to know, do what you need to do to banish doubt. Replace it with positive thoughts and constructive knowledge that push you in the direction you want to go.
- Worry is an absolutely useless emotion. Don't waste brain space with stuff that may never happen. Again, it's a matter of making yourself knowledgeable, creating a plan and working that plan.
- Guilt is a complete waste of time. Stewing over things that happened in the past contributes nothing to your future. Either take action to rectify the problem, or choose to get over it and move on. It really is that simple.
- Expectations invariably lead to disappointment. Unless you are the luckiest person on the planet, don't expect anyone to hand you the keys to a successful business and say ‘Here you go, it's all yours'. Be prepared to work – and work hard.
- Jealousy and envy are another waste of time. Those who think they ‘deserve' to possess the superior achievements of others or wish them ill by result need an attitude adjustment. Approach those whose success you'd like to emulate with respect, curiosity and a willingness to learn.
- Blame wastes energy. Very few of us escape life without challenges and obstacles, often imposed by others. But hanging on to past or present grievances gives away your power to act in the present. Do what you need to do let things go and get on with your own life. The most inspirational stories come from those who have clawed their way from the depths of despair to attain extraordinary success.
- Excuses are lies we tell ourselves to avoid the unpleasant truth. The most common excuses are “I have no time” and “I have no money”. As the old saying goes however, “where there's a will, there's a way”. If you want really want to make time for an activity, you will. No excuses.
The road to personal independence and financial freedom is fairly straight-forward.
Take responsibility for your current situation, accept that there will be obstacles and plan your course of action. Be sure to enlist support as needed and follow your plan in a logical order.
Lastly, don't wait. Claim your right to personal independence and financial freedom today!