I just went through the process of submitting my video for revenue sharing consideration and discovered the rules and process for making money with your YouTube videos — and I LIKE them considering how much time I spent dealing with copyright infringement issues…
Here are some of the basics.
It’s NOT OK to use someone else’s material even if you…
- edit together or “mash-up” other works.
- alter it by 10%, 20%, 30%, etc.
- only use 30 seconds of a song or video clip.
- found it on the internet.
- nobody sent you a copyright notice.
- paid for it.
- give proper attribution (credits).
- are only singing the words of a favorite copyrighted song.
This is copyright infringement and your video will be deleted!
How to monetize your video
- After reviewing the Agreement you will be asked for some information about your video.
- Any information you can provide about the source of the music or visual images used in your video — and whether they have been included in your video with the permission of the source or person appearing in your video — will help the process move faster.
- DO NOT submit any TV shows, music videos, music concerts, or commercials without the express permission of the producer, unless they consist entirely of content you created yourself.
- Only eligible videos in your account may be invited for revenue sharing.
Processing your video can take time. Please be patient!
Once processed, one of the following will happen:
- If approved, advertising will appear with the video.
- If rejected, the video will be deleted from YouTube. You will receive an email notification if your video is rejected.
How and when you get paid
- After you link your YouTube account with Google AdSense you will be paid through your AdSense account
- You’ll be paid when
- Your earnings reach the payment threshold
- There are no holds on your account
- You remain in compliance with AdSense policies, YouTube policies and Community Guidelines
Simple, commonsense stuff — for MOST of us! 🙂
Comments, questions or suggestions? Please leave a comment below!